WELCOME TO THE BNA WEBSITE
We hope you find it interesting and stimulating, and hope you will join the Association and swell the numbers of Britain’s Naturalists.
Join the BNA the national body for naturalists, founded in 1905, and extend your interest in the British countryside by taking part in a wide range of activities together with fellow enthusiasts of all ages. With the help of our experts, you will be able to learn more about our native flora and fauna and develop an in-depth understanding of how our natural world develops and changes increasingly important in view of the changes in our climate.
At national level, the BNA organises lectures and exhibitions, publishes Country-Side, British Naturalist, the BNA website and the BNA holds occasional conferences and Field Trips at a different location each year.
Two new books available in the Website Shop, Common Bugs and Beetles and Common Butterflies and Day-flying Moths. £5.95 each
Full colour photos throughout, and information and tips on how to find and identify them.
Visit the shop to buy them.
What to look for in May from the BNA
Birds are nest building now and will soon be fledging their young.
- Watch out for adult birds with beaks full of twigs, fluff etc
- If you have a nest box keep an eye on it for birds going in and out
- Towards the end of May and into June is when you will see adult birds feeding young after they’ve left the nest
House Sparrow and Blue Tit photos: D. Farrar, Robin feeding photo: S. Rutherford
Spring flowers are opening as the weather warms up. Look out for these three blue varieties.
- Bluebells can be seen in woodlands at the beginning of May, (native bluebells always droop to one side)
- Dog Violets will flower on any piece of wild grass or woodland edge
- Forget-me-nots are another “wild” flower this month
Bluebells photo: K. Hinchcliffe, Dog Violet and Forget-me-nots photo: P. Rutherford
Programme of Zoom Talks 2022
Given by experts from the BNA and the Natural History Museum
The talks will take place on the third Monday every month at approximately 7.30pm, the times will be confirmed nearer each date.
Click on this link to view BNA Zoom Talks
To take part in any of these talks please contact the
Chairman – email@example.com
and more information and the joining details will be sent to you.